For the incredibly lazy and/or incompetent web developer, I present the lazy man's bitcoin API (copied from a forum post):
Lazy web designer (me) wants to use bitcoins without dealing with installing bitcoin on a server, installing a shopping card interface, or using ugly merchant services with callbacks.
Solution for sending bitcoins:
Use the MtGox API
Solution for receiving bitcoins:
- Input a list of bitcoin receiving addresses to your database
- Give a bitcoin address to a potential customer
- Have the customer tell you when they have sent the coins and have at least 1 confirmation
- Check blockexplorer to see if they sent the right amount (i.e. http://blockexplorer.com/address/19hMEAaRMbEhfSkeU4GT8mgSuyR4t4M6TH)
- Wait for more blocks (confirmations) if paranoid
- Give them what they paid for
- After a reasonable amount of time has passed, you can re-use the address for another customer
You could avoid having a list of addresses and reusing them if one of the wallet services someday lets you get a new address via API call, but this will work for now.
Bad idea: Selling bars of gold this way (owner of blockexplorer.com could rip you off)
Good(?) idea: Selling naked pictures of your grandma this way (owner of blockexplorer.com won't bother)