A distributed naming system based on Bitcoin technology.
Namecoin uses a new blockchain, separate from the main Bitcoin chain.
Namecoin mining can be performed concurrent with Bitcoin and other compatible blockchains using the same software used for regular Bitcoin mining.
The project was inspired by the bitdns discussion and recent failures of the DNS.
The open source software was announced on April 18, 2011.
- Namecoin Project on GitHub
- dot-bit.org project, focused on the domain registration aspect of Namecoin
- Namecoin (.bit) WHOIS Server
- Bitparking BTC/NMC Namecoin <=> Bitcoin exchange
- Vircurex Buy, sell and trade your Namecoins
- Namecoin Tools