Namecoin is an alternative distributed Domain Name System (DNS) on the basis of Bitcoin software. It expands the software so that transactions for registering, updating, and transferring domains to serve.
Like Bitcoin, Namecoin is a peer-to-peer system, which, assuming an honest majority of participants can not be controlled by a single state or a company. Changes to the namespace of the rightful owner of a domain with a public key signature method and distributed to all peer-to-peer users. The inclusion in the block chain , as the eternal logfile is used, the transactions are authentic. The block chain grows whenever new transactions, if any of the participants through a fairly intense proof-of-work process, a matching result of a cryptographic hash function has found what may be verified by all other participants. The falsification of a longer chain block is, due to the computational effort, impractical.
Currently, the top-level domain .bit used in the official domain name system is not awarded. To resolve domain name you need either the current block chain or use a public name server that participates in the Namecoin system. Namecoin uses a separate block of Bitcoin chain. The software is open source and is hosted on GitHub.
- Namecoin Project on GitHub
- dot-bit.org project, focused on the domain registration aspect of Namecoin
- Namecoin (.bit) WHOIS Server
- Lilion Transfer Exchange where you may exchange NameCoin to 20 currencies, 70 e-currencies, 20 e-wallets or 3 cryptocurrencies.
- Bitparking BTC/NMC Namecoin <=> Bitcoin exchange
- Vircurex Buy, sell and trade your Namecoins
- Crypto Street - Advanced Trading Exchange for Namecoins